- The Trustee acts as the county's banker and also collects county taxes. The Trustee deposits collected taxes into secure investments until they are distributed to all county offices for their budgets as set by the county commission. The Trustee's Office is responsible for managing over $125 million per year for all county finances.
- The Trustee's Office has no control of the amount of property taxes owed. The taxes are figured based on the assessment of property that is provided by the Assessor's Office and the tax rate set by the County Commission.
- Tax notices are mailed to the property owners in October. Tax notices are mailed to the owner as of January 1 of the current year. If you have purchased property during the year and do not receive a notice, please contact the Trustee's Office. The tax notices are not required to be mailed by law, but they are mailed as a courtesy. If you own property, taxes are due whether or not you receive a notice.
- Taxes are due and payable October thru February without penalty and interest. Penalty and interest begin March 1 at a rate of 1.5 % per month,
Listed below are various ways of paying your property taxes:
- Tax payments can be made at the office Monday thru Friday 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM. We accept cash, check, cashier check, or money order. (Please bring your tax notice with you.)
- Tax payments can also be made by credit card (Visa or Mastercard) for a 2.75% fee. Go to www.tennesseetrustee.com.
- Tax payments can be mailed to our office at:
Putnam County Trustee
300 East Spring Street Room 2
Cookeville, TN 38501
(Please write your receipt number on your check.) Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope to receive a paid receipt.
- Tax payments can be made with your tax card at:
Baxter's Bank of Putnam County
Monterey's Bank of Putnam County
1st Volunteer Bank at Monterey
- State law provides for property tax relief to: Elderly or Disabled Homeowners and disabled Veteran Homeowners. All Tax relief recipients must pay in the office or by mail.
Directions from I-40
- Take the Cookeville/Sparta exit, Exit 287
- Go north on Jefferson Ave, go 2 miles to Courthouse on the Square
- Office is located on the main floor of the Courthouse
Room # 2